Canada Travel – tips for the Great White North
Our money is plastic and multi-coloured
We love hockey
- Canada spans 6 time zones and is made up of 10 provinces and 3 territories if you want to see a lot of our country rent a car or a camper van. We do have trains and the Greyhound buses run between many of our major provinces and cities but it will take forever and cost a fortune.
- Weather in Canada can run the gamut. In Ontario, you will find tons of snow in the winter and very cold temperatures but in the summer months the province can heat up considerably and the humidity can be unbearable. Yes, hockey is our national sport and poutine our national dish.
- On the west coast, Vancouver and the Province of BC are more akin to English weather, cooler and rainier. On the east coast, you will find weather similar to Ireland and Wales and in central Canada well anything goes.
- Canada has 2 official languages, most of Canada speaks English but the Province of Quebec is dominantly French – they can speak English but sometimes choose not to unless they know you are a ‘foreigner’.
- Yes in Canada we do believe in tipping usually 10-20% of the total bill our wait staff and restaurant staff are not paid well and are expected to pay taxes on their tips – so be nice and tip well.
- We pay sales taxes on anything we buy so don’t be surprised if the price on the tag is not what you pay at the till. A Federal sales tax and a provincial sales tax (which do differ in the provinces) generally speaking adds up to around 15% on top of the price tag.
- From outside North America, you will normally need either a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) to enter Canada. What you need depends on what passport you hold so make sure to check this long before your travel date.
29 Outstanding Things to Do In Quebec City
29 Outstanding Things to Do In Quebec City I think every kid who grows up in Ontario does a school trip to Quebec City atRead More »
Indigenous foods around the world
A guide to Indigenous foods around the world In university, I studied anthropology and became fascinated by food cultures worldwide. In particular, since I lived in CanadaRead More »
The Origins of Barbecue
36 Tantalizing BBQ dishes around the world Humans began cooking meat over fire around 1.8 million years ago so the origins of barbecue belong in our distantRead More »
Best food markets Canada
21 Best food markets in Canada Yes, I’m a food tourist and no matter what country I travel to I will always scope out a food marketRead More »
22 Food Trucks across Canada to try
22 Fabulous Food Trucks across Canada to try I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t love a food truck, except perhaps the very early boomersRead More »
Best food markets and food halls in N. America
41of the Best food markets and food halls in North America I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I LOVE food markets andRead More »
Toronto Farmer’s Markets sustainable shopping
Best Toronto Farmer’s Markets 2022 There is nothing better than a farmer’s market to get into the spirit of an area. Wouldn’t you rather strollRead More »
International House sitting & how to get house sitting jobs
International House sitting I never believed it was possible to afford to travel the world until I started house sitting. So I started investigating theRead More »
Two of the best Pizzas in Toronto Canada
Best Pizzas in Toronto You see we were housesitting in Toronto and we were welcomed to the neighbourhood by a street party. One of theRead More »
47 of the best traditional Canadian foods
Canadian foods you must try I got a bit tired of these articles talking about the top 10 Canadian dishes or the 17 dishes youRead More »
Tips for Canadians moving to Ireland
Tips for Canadians moving to Ireland We always dreamed of moving to Ireland or rather moving back to Ireland from Canada. Both my husband andRead More »
11 Memorable things to experience in Toronto Canada
Top experiences in Toronto Toronto is a bustling, clean, vibrant city with a youthful vibe and lots to offer a traveller. From inexpensive hostels toRead More »
Only in Canada, eh? 17 Things to Know about Canadian Culture
Canadian Things Want to travel to Canada? These are some things you should know about us before you go. Only in Canada details our obsessionsRead More »
Travellers Guide to Granville Island Market | Vancouver Canada
Granville Island Public Market & Farmer’s Market Why Visit Vancouver? Canada’s west coast is simply stunning. From its incredible mountains to the deep blue oceanRead More »
St. Lawrence Market Toronto – A Foodies Paradise
St Lawrence Market – A Foodies Paradise I love St Lawrence Market in Toronto, Canada it is a bustling modern-day market that is now the bestRead More »