The British use Pounds/Sterling
Football not soccer – The Beautiful Game
If you are travelling to England for the first time here are some things you should know before you go.
- You must have a valid passport which must be valid for the duration of your stay in the UK.
- Pounds (known as sterling) are the legal tender in Britain and Euros in the country of Ireland. You can get these from your local bank but you won’t need much cash as you can use your chipped debit/credit card in most places around England. Check with your bank before you leave what kind of charges you may be subjected to and choose your method of payment accordingly.
- You should learn a little bit about the cheap and the best transport facilities to reach your destination in London or any part of England before you travel so you can plan ahead.
- In England shuttle buses, trains and underground run from all the major airports to the centre of London. In London, you can use buses or walk to venture out in the city. For quick transportation use underground but try to avoid it at rush hour as it can be more expensive not to mention crowded.
- I recommend purchasing an Oyster card (combination of bus, underground and Docklands light railway pass) for use in Greater London it saves both money and time.
- if you are going to be sightseeing in London, you can save more money by buying a London Pass that will give you access to 80+ attractions and save you a small fortune – London attractions are incredibly expensive.
- UK mains electricity is 230V, 50Hz AC, and plugs have three square pins (‘Type G’). there for if you need to charge your mobile phones, laptops and ipads.
- Did you know that you can claim back your 20% tax levied on goods and services from the airports when you depart, for more details please see VAT Refunds for UK visitors.
- Hope these tips are helpful and you enjoy your adventure in England! Here are some posts to help you decide on what you want to visit on your trip to England.
What to see in England
Kirkham Priory – a hidden gem in Yorkshire
Kirkham Priory – a hidden gem in Yorkshire One of North Yorkshire’s little hidden gems the Augustinian Kirkham Priory is located between the city of … England Read More
Scotlands Castle Hotels – 36 Charming Hotel Castles
Scotlands Castle Hotels – 36 Charming Hotel Castles Have you always dreamt of staying in a castle in Scotland overlooking a loch or glen? Living … England Read More
Touring the extraordinary Scottish Highlands – 42 Places to visit
Touring the extraordinary Scottish Highlands – 42 Places to visit My husband is thoroughly Irish and adores the land of his birth, but when visiting … England Read More
Visiting the extraordinary Chiltern Hills of England
Visiting the extraordinary Chiltern Hills of England We discovered the Chiltern Hills area when housesitting in Oxfordshire just by driving around the different counties. Gorgeous … England Read More
14 Things To Know Before You Visit Windsor Castle
14 Things To Know Before You Visit Windsor Castle Windsor Castle seems to be on every tourist’s bucket list when they visit England. Since Windsor … England Read More
37 Fabulous things to do in York
37 Fabulous things to do in York One of my favourite cities in England is York, in fact, I’m in love with the whole county … England Read More
17 of the Prettiest Cotswolds Villages
17 of the Prettiest Cotswolds Villages to visit Just 2 hours from London, the best Cotswold villages will make you feel like you have taken … England Read More
16 Things to do in Manchester
16 Things to do in Manchester Manchester is considered the capital city of the north of England and attracts thousands of visitors from all over … England Read More
45 Great British Desserts
45 Great British Desserts The British may not have been known for fabulous cooking back in the day but no one can say that a great British … England Read More
11 Quirky Afternoon Teas In London
11 Quirky Afternoon Teas In London Updated 07/08/2022 I simply cannot get enough of clotted cream and scones and think High Tea is something we … England Read More
The Best Downton Abbey Filming Locations
Downton Abbey Filming locations Including Downton Abbey: A New Era After hubs and I began binge-watching Downton Abbey knowing we were planning a visit we … England Read More
59 Traditional British Foods – from the sublime to the WTF
59 Traditional English foods to try British foods don’t often bring to mind a gourmet treat but there are some classic English foods that we … England Read More