Travelling the Netherlands (Holland)
Official Name: Kingdom of the Netherlands
Form of Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Capital City: Amsterdam
Official Languages: Dutch and Frisian – most folks speak English
- The Netherlands’ small size actually makes it the most crowded country in Europe, thanks to the current population being at more than 17 million (as of July 2019).
- The Netherlands is one of the happiest countries in the world according to the United Nations World Happiness report, they are always in the top 10.
- The Netherlands was the first country to legalize same-sex marriage
- The national anthem is the oldest in the world and dates back to 1572
- It is the lowest country in Europe and Netherlands is translated in Dutch to the “low lands”
- Carrots are orange because of the Dutch legend has it that the Dutch bred orange carrots as a tribute to William of Orange who became the King of England.
- Everyone knows that tulips are famous thanks to the Netherlands. But tulips are not native to the Netherlands but to Turkey.
- Amsterdam alone has over 1,200 bridges
- There are over 1,000 windmills