Travelling the Netherlands (Holland)
Official Name: Kingdom of the Netherlands
Form of Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Capital City: Amsterdam
Official Languages: Dutch and Frisian – most folks speak English
- The Netherlands’ small size actually makes it the most crowded country in Europe, thanks to the current population being at more than 17 million (as of July 2019).
- The Netherlands is one of the happiest countries in the world according to the United Nations World Happiness report, they are always in the top 10.
- The Netherlands was the first country to legalize same-sex marriage
- The national anthem is the oldest in the world and dates back to 1572
- It is the lowest country in Europe and Netherlands is translated in Dutch to the “low lands”
- Carrots are orange because of the Dutch legend has it that the Dutch bred orange carrots as a tribute to William of Orange who became the King of England.
- Everyone knows that tulips are famous thanks to the Netherlands. But tulips are not native to the Netherlands but to Turkey.
- Amsterdam alone has over 1,200 bridges
- There are over 1,000 windmills
28 of The Most Beautiful Bookstores in Europe
28 of The Most Beautiful Bookstores in Europe I am an obsessive reader and can go through a minimum of 2 books per week and sometimes
What to eat in Amsterdam: A local’s guide
What to eat in Amsterdam: A local’s guide In a lot of countries we’ve been to, we’ve stumbled upon local food at just about every street
Tourist traps in Europe and where to go instead
Tourist traps in Europe and where to go instead Want to know what to skip in Europe and head to instead? Tourist traps in Europe are
Traditional Dutch foods to eat in the Netherlands
Popular Dutch food to eat in the Netherlands Dutch food has always been a secret pleasure of mine. Growing up one of my best friends was
20 Amsterdam Day Trips: The best of the Netherlands
20 Amsterdam Day Trips: The best of the Netherlands To truly experience the best of the Netherlands you need to get out beyond Amsterdam and explore
My Move to Europe: 23 personal stories
My Move to Europe – 23 personal stories I live with an innate curiosity about why people move to Europe. I personally have moved
35 Amsterdam tips for first-time visitors
35 Amsterdam Tips for first time visitors Are you planning on travelling to Amsterdam? I’ve been to this glorious city several times both flying in and
10 Best Coffeeshops in Amsterdam for smoking weed
10 Best Coffeeshops in Amsterdam for smoking weed Coffeeshops in Amsterdam are not actually coffee shops they are legal places to smoke weed. If you want
How do I get an EU Passport and EU Citizenship?
How to get an EU Passport Getting EU citizenship by descent may not be as difficult as you think. If you are seriously considering living in